(Keywords: ANKLE JOINT PAIN, chiropractic, foot pain, ankle sprain treatment, Ankle Joint Pain CaseFile )
Ankle pain can be very simple, and it can be very complex. Because it's a highly complex joint. Well, not one joint! There are 7 ankle cum midfoot bones. The
It really is complex. The cuboid bone for example, articulates with six other ankle bones. Six joints to injury, and that's just the cuboid on the side of the foot.
They articulate with each other, with two leg bones: the tibia and the fibula; and the bones of the forefoot. In total there are 29 joints in each foot, and what's more the feet have to work in harmony with each other. It's complex! And feet can hurt, believe you me. It's no coincidence that the Japanese would choose the feet when they wanted to know all your secrets!
This is the joint that causes needle-sharp ankle pain when you try to walk on a sprained ankle. The subluxated talus is probably the easiest joint for your chiropractor to reduce after you have injured your ankle. It's basic Chiropractic ankle sprain treatment.
The Talo-Calcaneus Joint
= Subtalar Joint
This joint too may be subluxated in the ordinary ankle sprain. If it's not reduced after injury, it causes ankle and foot pain in the future. Actually it's really three joints in itself.
I treat the consequences of an unreduced subtalar joint every day - people with miserable foot pain; that subtalar joint subluxation changes they way they walk causing problems, not only in the ankle, but up the kinetic chain - in the knee, the hip, the sacroiliac joint, and yes probably all the way to the atlas in the neck (C1).
The Cuboid bone and ankle sprain treatment
ANKLE JOINT PAIN
Notice how the cuboid on your reading left (actually the right foot) in this CT scan has been severely subluxated. This lady hasn't been able to put her heel on the ground for 11 years. And she's only 36 years old. Whilst any one of the tarsal bones can be injured, I find in practice that the cuboid bone is often the key to many ankle injuries. Perhaps because it articulates with the
ie. with six other bones. It's often affected for example if you kick a chair or cupboard with the little or 4th toe. That drives the metatarsals forcibly up against the cuboid.
Just like any other joint, if a fixated joint is not reduced, it will
lead inexorably to Immobilisation Arthritis. Within these so-called
synovial joints there is fluid sloshing about carrying vital nutrients
to the hyaline cartilage that lines the bones. You can see the arthritis
very clearly in the CT above in the talo-navicular joint. That's what
happens to fixated joints that are not reduced. IMMOBILISATION ARTHRITIS ...
This is not intended to be an exhaustive treatise on chiropractic help for ankle joint pain. Any one of the ankle joints can be injured in skiing, football, skating, just an ordinary slip and fall on the street. Each needs to be carefully examined and evaluated to prevent the onset of foot pain and chronic arthritis in the ankle. Often the services of other health professionals will be needed. Severe fractures can occur ...
But, once the surgeon has finished his/her work, and the bones have healed, get your ankle to your chiropractor, otherwise severe immobilisation arthritis is likely. Ankle and foot PAIN with a capital P.
Every chiropractor has his/her favourite techniques. The technique is
not important - getting the subluxations in your foot reduced after
injury is what is important.
ANKLE JOINT PAIN CaseFile
Every chiropractor could write screeds of casefiles, but this one is little short of miraculous. Chiropractic help.
ANKLE JOINT PAIN CASEFILE ...
There are probably very few chiropractors, if any, qualified to treat an ankle fracture, but once that cast comes off reduction of any other concomitant subluxations (such as in the subtalar joint), and rehab of the soft tissues to prevent "functional instability"... ANKLE FRACTURE ...
BUYING RUNNING SHOES
Whether you love to shop, or simply hate it, take your time when buying shoes. If you buy a shirt that ultimately doesn't suit you, it won't actually affect your health. But BUYING RUNNING SHOES will have a direct bearing on your health. So, take your time, or... stay at home!
Quite apart from foot pain, you could well have a SPRAINED ANKLE to contend with, and ANKLE SPRAIN TREATMENT doesn't come cheap. Not if the subluxated cuboid, calcaneus or talus has to be reduced and the whole ankle rehabilitated. Lots of pain too, rather spend the time buying shoes that fit you properly.
NATURAL ANTI INFLAMMATORY AGENTS
Whilst not powerful like drugs, olive oil, omega-3 fatty acids, ginger, tumeric all have anti inflammatory properties. Short term, you may decide to ignore the dangerous side effects of anti inflammatory drugs, but if you need an anti inflammatory effect long term, then it's not unrealistic to add Olive Oil benefits, or purchase yourself a small coffee grinder and sprinkle a table spoon of freshly ground Flax seed nutrition information onto your cereal every morning. It's virtually tasteless and inexpensive.
Fish oil softgels (1000mg) are also an excellent natural anti inflammatory agent.
Really want to know what happens at the Chiropractic coalface? What do Chiropractors actually do? What conditions do they treat, and how? Then walk with me through my seven years working in the polders of Holland. A different view of a different and very lovely people. It's a fun read.
Search this site function enables you to find stuff on this site.
Google has gone through an enormous shakeup in the last year, giving webmasters much grief.
Meantime, use the search function near the top of the left column to find more information about subject material mentioned on the page where links have probably been removed. There are over 360 pages at chiropractic help; it's become a veritable encyclopedia dedicated to better health.
If you don't have a Kindle, load the free Kindle app from Amazon onto your smartphone or computer. I believe it will take longer, but just like photography has gone totally digital, so will book, given time.
The driving force ultimately will be price. Electronic books will be cheaper, far cheaper, and you can download them instantly.
Free Kindle apps …
Give it a try! You could have Stones in my Clog on your tablet or smartphone in a jiffy. Just $2.99. $12 for the paperback in a week's time.
Share your question. Perhaps I or someone else can contribute to the misery that foot and ankle joint pain can cause.
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Ankle pain when walking
Hi, Ankle pain when walking I get pain in my left foot when I walk - on the top of the foot, in the ankle mortise lock towards right side. Also on …
drain girl Not rated yet
My name is Thelma. It's now 3 weeks back I fell in a drain; the drain was not so big, cause u can't actually see the drain because it's covered with grass. …
Sprained ankle untreated Not rated yet
Sprained ankle untreated now foot discomfort Hi I was walking nad went one step up only to miss a side of a step and landed on the widther side which …
Nerve ending that pinches in my left foot Not rated yet
Nerve ending that pinches in my left foot My body gets very sore as there is a nerve ending that pinches in my left foot near the talus. I can feel …
ankle achilles tendon burning pain Not rated yet
ankle achilles tendon burning pain my right leg ankle achilles hurts like burning, I can't walk in the morning when I get up from my bed,after 10 minutes …
ankle sprain treatment Not rated yet
ankle sprain treatment I think i have sprained my ankle too many times, maybe more than five, and no i feel a bone in the top middle of my foot that …
ankle injury Not rated yet
Ankle injury Sprained ankle a year ago still swollen at ankle burning tingling . mri 4months ago no bones broken,painful when walking across the …
Did you find this page useful? Then perhaps forward it to a suffering friend. Better still, Tweet or Face Book it.
Interesting challenges of the day
1. Mr B came initially for a painful and stiff neck and then asked whether chiropractic could help the cold numb feeling running down the side of his thigh for six months. Meralgia paresthetica is a double crush syndrome with the nerve affected in the back and groin. He's 80% improved after five treatments.
2. Mrs C has a long history of severe, disabling migraine headaches since having her wisdom teeth removed. She clenches her teeth at night. After six treatments she has no migraines but some jaw joint discomfort remains; a bite plate is in the offing.
3. Mrs U has the trophy for the worst back this year. After major surgery with plates and screws two years later she still had paresis in the lower leg and severe disabling back pain. She's doing far better than expected, in no little part due to a lift in her shoe for a very short leg.
4. Mr V is 86 years old and hurt his back helping his wife into the car. Just one treatment of the sacroiliac joint and he's eighty percent better. It's not always like that.
5. Mr W lay on his back knocking down a pillar. Turning his head causes severe vertigo. He needs the Epley exercises, not pills, research shows. Update, he's fine.
6. Mrs X, a young mother has severe lower back pain, with numbness down the posterior thigh, calf and side of her foot. It started after a long drive in the car. After six treatments she is 60 percent better, but it's slow and is going to take the full 6 weeks to heal.
And now a setback, after lifting her child she now has leg pain. It's going to the be difficult.
7. This lady is a 70 year old woman, is on maintenance care for a nasty lumbar stenosis despite having to do everything at home. Her husband has a hospital acquired infection after a total shoulder replacement. After four operations he is incapacitated.
8. She is an 78 year old woman, is doing remarkably well with a bad sciatica. But over 200 pounds she is not losing weight; in fact, gaining despite my suggestions. She's high risk for a stroke. I have referred her to a dietician to crack the whip.
9. This man is a 73 year old engineer, still working, is doing fine after a long episode of lower back pain. Some pain on the side of the hip remains after five treatments. I reassured him it's not hip arthritis.
10. A 64 year old woman has had scheuermanns disease; it's left her with a spinal kyphosis and chronic middorsal pain. She responds well to chiropractic treatment provides she come every six weeks or so for maintenance treatment.
11. Mr C has been having severe headaches, and taking a lot of analgesics. It's a non complicated upper cervical facet syndrome, and she's doing well.
12. Mrs D, a middle aged woman with hip pain of one year duration, despite other treatment. Xrays reveal an impingement syndrome and early hip arthritis. There's much to be done.
13. Both Mrs E and I can't believe how much better her lower back and leg pain are. Surgery for a scoliosis and spondylolysthesis three years ago helped greatly for one year. But then her leg went lame and weak. He was responded extremely well despite all expectations.
And so the day goes; chiropractors shouldn't be treating the elderly most medical sites state but that's so much bunkum.
Have a problem that's not getting better? Looking for a different slant on your pain? Want to pose a question?
Greetings, Dr B.
You helped me quite some time back with a soothing and professional response which turned out to be exactly correct. I now consult a local chiropractor. You write a superb newsletter, too.
Your own unresolved problem. Pose a question
Knowing that up to 70% of the time the correct diagnosis is made with no examination, no special tests, no xrays, but just from the history, there's a fair chance I can add some insight to your unresolved problem. But at least 30% of the time, I may be quite wrong! Give plenty of detail if you want a sensible reply.
You visited this chiropractic help site no doubt because you have a problem that is not resolving and want to know more about what chiropractors do.
The quickest and most interesting way is to read one of my ebooks of anecdotes. Described by a reader as gems, both funny and healthful, from the life and work of a chiropractor, you'll love them. Priced right at $2.99, though Kindle fiddles the price without telling me.