severe pains/pulling sensations deep inside pelvic area (and sacrum?)

by julie

severe pains/pulling sensations deep inside pelvic area (and sacrum?)

I had a lot of gynecological issues, stemming from bad endometriosis and ending with total hysterectomy at age 37. I had about 5 endoscopic surgeries prior, then a lot of scar tissue that was excised during hysterectomy, one large one attached to hip bone to center of tummy.

A lot of endometriosis was on the back side of uterus.

NOW, I have a lot of left side pain, and it feels like pulling/tugging deep inside pelvic cavity, and right above my tail bone. I have been diagnosed w/facet syndrome, but steroid injections in those joint did nothing to help, and 2nd one gave me great pain.

Could it be more scar tissue? I've been told that scar tissue doesn't really show up on x-ray or cat scan, etc... I don't know what direction to go, medically? i don't think it's facet...

Hello Julie,
You have one of those conditions, or even two separate problems, that require medical and chiropractic cooperation. Obviously no one is really sure...

I tend to agree with you, it doesn't sound like a lumbar facet syndrome ... the classic examination is the test of Kemp. Does leaning backwards and then to the side provoke your pain. If so, then yes it could be a lumbar facet syndrome.

More likely would be a sacroiliac condition, the joint between the sacrum and ilium (sometimes loosely called the hip bone). It wouldn't be a bad idea to begin the exercises for sacroiliac joint pain ... good exercises to do in any case.

Do you have any pubic bone pain and, if you run your thumb down the inner thigh from the groin, is it exquisitely painful?

Awkward question. Do you have vaginal pain, is sex painful, can you open your legs normally? There's always the possibility of a pudendal nerve injury after so much surgery.

Most likely is a painful myofasciitis of the deep pelvic muscles. They can only be reached rectally. I would suggest you start looking for a female chiropractor who deals with such things. Frankly you're going to have difficulty finding one. And if only a male, obviously take hubby along with you. Most chiropractors frankly won't touch this because of the innuendos of sexual misconduct, although any myofasciitis, even of the deep pelvic muscles, is certainly within the domain of chiropractic care.
Perhaps start with your local Chiropractic Association. Can they recommend anyone?

And of course your problem could be just more scar tissue, and totally out of the chiropractic domain.

I fear I may have just muddied the waters... let me know if I can contribute further.

Dr B

Go from severe pains/pulling sensations deep inside pelvic area (and sacrum?) to Chiropractic Tips …

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Chiropractic help Questions (Low back pain).

Did you find this page useful? Then perhaps forward it to a suffering friend. Better still, Tweet or Face Book it.

Interesting challenges of the day

1. Mr S is a 76 year old man with neck pain of some 9 months duration. Luckily, most of the discomfort is upper cervical which is only rarely arthritic; his lower cervical spine is a degenerative mess that I've left alone. After seven treatments his pain and stiffness is 50 percent better, and he's happy in the circumstances. He can sleep through the night now and that makes a huge difference.

2. Mr P is 32 year old man with very severe lower back pain radiating to the big toe which is 30 percent numb. He had an episode three weeks ago, took anti inflammatories and was soon better as is typical of the medial disc herniation. But before it healed, after a trivia it came roaring back, much worse. The characteristic crossed sign was evident; sitting in a chair, straightening the right leg provoked severe left back pain and tingling in the leg. He's doing well.

3. Severe lower back pain is scary; just ask Mrs P. Just watching her get out of the car I she was in trouble; she had a slipped disc at L4 making her lean towards the opposite side; luckily she had no pain in the leg. Despite family pressure that this was far too severe for a chiropractor, she persevered. Within five days she was standing upright, and after two weeks almost painfree. 

Despite a hectic job, she wisely took my advice and stayed home for what I call exercising bed rest.

4. Mr S has had lower back, groin and back of thigh and calf pain for fourth months.

He has a pincer deformity in the hip causing the stabs in the groin, and a degenerative facet causing the sciatica. Both are responding well to chiropractic and he's well pleased; sixty five percent better after three treatments.

5. Mr T is a wise man; he's taken a warning TIA seriously and has lost 15 pounds, and has at least as much again to lose. A change to a low starch diet and half hour daily walk has made the difference; but the walking is making his foot and back miserable. The expensive orthotic is hopeless; luckily his hips and back are fine, but he needs a simple heel lift.

6. I too have had serious lower back issues, luckily fixed by my own chiropractor; so I too have to do my exercises, take care when lifting supers full of honey, gardening and using the chainsaw. Regaining the function of your spine is just as important as the pain.

7. My own granddaughter, only 7 is hypermobile giving her pelvic, knee and ankle issues. Xrays show a mildly dysplastic hip. Years ago we would have called it growing pains. She too regularly needs chiropractic care and luckily responds well. Increased range of motion is more difficult than too stiff in my opinion. Our care is for kids too.

8. This 65 year old lady is a serious gardener; every day she is bending, lifting and digging for 2 to 3 hours a day. It regularly catches her in the sacroiliac joint, so she has a treatment once a month that sorts it out. She does her lower back exercises faithfully.

9. This 88 year old lady is an inspiration; every day she is busy in the community. With a nasty scoliosis she manages very well with a chiropractic adjustment every six weeks and exercises faithfully done.  

10. Mr X is a 71 year old retired man who wants to continue with maintenance care every six to eight weeks; he had suffered from two years of lower back pain when he first came a year ago. He has no discomfort now after 8 chiropractic treatments, but is aware that danger lurks.

11. Mrs C has been having severe headaches, and taking a lot of analgesics. It's a non complicated upper cervical facet syndrome, and she's doing well.

12. Mr D is a 38 old year man with chronic shoulder pain after a rotator cuff tear playing cricket. It responded well to treatment, but he knows he must do his exercises every day; for two years he couldn't sleep on that shoulder.

13. Mr D, a 71 year old man, has a severe ache in the shoulder and midback since working above his head. Trapped nerve tests are negative but he has advanced degenerative joints of Luschka; after just two treatments he is 50 percent better. Can we reach 90?

And so the day goes; chiropractors shouldn't be treating the elderly most medical sites state but that's so much bunkum.

Have a problem that's not getting better? Looking for a different slant on your pain? Want to pose a question?

Interesting questions from visitors

CLS writes:

Greetings, Dr B.
You helped me quite some time back with a soothing and professional response which turned out to be exactly correct. I now consult a local chiropractor. You write a superb newsletter, too.

Your own unresolved problem. Pose a question

Knowing that up to 70% of the time the correct diagnosis is made with no examination, no special tests, no xrays, but just from the history, there's a fair chance I can add some insight to your unresolved problem. But at least 30% of the time, I may be quite wrong! Give plenty of detail if you want a sensible reply.

You visited this chiropractic help site no doubt because you have a problem that is not resolving and want to know more about what chiropractors do.

The quickest and most interesting way is to read one of my ebooks of anecdotes. Described by a reader as gems, both funny and healthful, from the life and work of a chiropractor, you'll love them. Priced right at $2.99, though Kindle fiddles the price without telling me.