Keywords: Chiropractor Johannesburg, head neck pain, migraine headache, pubic bone pain
The Chiropractic profession in Gauteng caters for people suffering from headaches, back pain, slipped discs, shoulder pain, even colicky babies, and much, much more ...
Searching for something specific? Just type it in here:
More Chiropractor Johannesburg ...
What is Chiropractic?
Chiropractic is a very old profession (not the oldest!), practised by the ancients.
Famous Greek doctors, for example, like Hippocrates and Galen used
manipulative techniques more than two millennia ago.
Interestingly, research shows that migraine sufferers, clench their Temporalis muscles on the side of the head 14x more often than non-migraine sufferers.
Chiropractor Johannesburg is where you will get relief.
Head neck pain
Moreover, jaw joint pain sufferers almost always also have neck pain, as the sensory nucleus of the nerve that supplies the jaw joint, the trigeminal nerve is located in the upper neck.
If you grind your teeth at night, known as bruxism, then not only will you have severe headaches, and often facial pain; and you'll wear your teeth down and probably drive your spouse to the spare room. A bite plate is the solution. They aren't very comfortable, but you'll get used to it; it's better than all of the above.
Neck Pain and headache are amongst the primary reasons why patients consult chiropractor Johannesburg. Are you swallowing bucket loads of pills on a regular basis? Taking dual anti inflammatory drugs, like brufin and aspirin, simultaneously is very dangerous.
Your chiropractor will want to see any xrays of your cervical spine that you have had taken. Take them with you for the first consultation.
If you have not had plates taken, or a scan, your chiropractor may order them; therein lies a difficulty. Scans are very expensive and xrays are ionising radiation; but they yield so much useful information to your chiropractor.
Discuss the issue of xrays with your chiropractor. If you've not had recent trauma, and have no radiating pain down the arm, then sometimes a trial of half a dozen treatments may be indicated; if there's inadequate improvement in your head neck pain that you can still have them taken.
A nagging ache in your neck often points to one or more fixated joints in the cervical spine. Long before arthritis is visible on xray you will start to get a warning that all is not well in the state of Denmark; uncovertebral joint Luschka arthritis may be progressing.
Fixated joints, starved of normal nutrition, become rapidly arthritic. In fact, in white mice degenerative changes are visible within thirteen hours of a spinal joint being artificially fixated.
Remember too the beneficial effect of phytochemical foods and omega 3 on joints. Enjoying lightly filtered raw honey with all the pollen for example, and regularly having west coast pilchards or freshly ground flax seed and easy ways to improve not only your joint health but your whole body.
Ultimately the degenerative changes in the lower neck will cause tingling in arms and hands.
Pelvic and Pubic bone pain
The pelvis is a complex organ causing a great many of the painful syndromes treated by Chiropractors. Read more here about the Sacroiliac Joint anatomy, for example, and this Femero Acetabular Impingement Syndrome Case File which causes arthritic-type symptoms, but starting in the young person ...
Any dysfunction in the foot will disrupt the kinetic chain and cause
pain syndromes higher up in the body. Can a Mortons neuroma cause
headaches ...? Yes, if it makes you limp.
Chiropractor Johannesburg is where you will get relief.
Mortons neuroma ...
Not all chiropractors work with feet. Ask before making an appointment for chiropractic help.
Chiropractic South Africa
Whilst spinal manipulation really dates back to Hippocrates and beyond, the origin of modern chiropractic is credited to Dr D.D. Palmer in 1895, a Canadian living in the United States who gave the first chiropractic adjustment to the spine.
Chiropractic South Africa dates back nearly 90 years. The first, unknown chiropractor opened his doors in the 1920's. The Payne twins, Dr Ivan and Dr Alan, formed the first association of chiropractors in the late 1930's. My own parents, Dr Dick Lewis and Dr Unity Allsopp Lewis trained in America during world war 2 and started practice in Pietermaritzburg in 1946.
South Africa now has over 600 chiropractors with two accredited university level courses in Johannesburg and Durban.
Early days were characterized by squabbles between two factions, one which promoted making a diagnosis, and the other just adjusted the spine. The inimitable and forceful Dr Mario Milani should correctly be accorded the credit for unifying the two factions into one cohesive profession.
It was this unified profession that enabled chiropractic to become fully accredited in South Africa in the face of a united medical profession that called us quacks and lay manipulators.
In fact South Africa has one of the most cohesive chiropractic associations in the world; the internecine strife that characterised much of the first century is now long gone.
Whilst a good proportion of the chiropractors are located in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban most smaller town now boast of a chiropractor or two.
South Africa is privileged to have not one but two top class chiropractic institutions. Thanks to the vision of the Chiropractic Association of South Africa, the institutes were started despite great opposition some two decades ago. Without them there would today be no more than a handful of aging chiropractors in South Africa.
There are two very different approaches to chiropractic education ...
EDUCATION CHIROPRACTIC ...
The Journey of Scott Haldeman
South Africa is proud to be the birth place of one of the most influential chiropractic personalities the world has ever seen. His grandmother and father were both chiropractors.
Trained as a
chiropractor, and still very cognisant of his roots, Dr Haldeman has
gone on to qualify as a medical doctor, a PhD and practising neurologist.
Few men have shaped modern chiropractic more than Dr Haldeman, putting it on the healthcare map with his strict emphasis by insisting that chiropractic through research actually prove with hard research what they already know; chiropractic is safe, effective and cost effective. We are the largest non drug healing profession in the world.
South Africa is very proud of you Dr Haldeman.
The journey of Scott Haldeman.
Do you have a question? Shoot! Please include important details such as when the problem started, what increases and relieves the pain, which movements cause dizziness, whether the pain radiates to all the fingers or just the thumb and forefinger, for example.
Click below to see contributions from other visitors.
change of details for Dr Michael Barbour Not rated yet
please can you update my details on your page. Dr Michael Barbour, longpoint centre, Cnr Witkoppen Rd and Monte Casino Blvd, Fourways. 011 4679744 …
Burning feet Not rated yet
Burning feet when I get up to walk, I do already wear orthotics I am currently with an Endocrinologist, I have collapsed Adrenal Glands and Thyroid …
Searching for something specific? Just type it in here:
Did you find this page useful? Then perhaps forward it to a suffering friend. Better still, Tweet or Face Book it.
Interesting challenges of the day
1. Mr D has very severe midback back. He bent and twisted, feeding his son, and then laughed. Every breath is a nightmare. A sprung rib is every chiropractor's delight. He or she has golden hands. 30 percent better after one treatment.
2. Mrs C has a long history of severe, disabling migraine headaches since having her wisdom teeth removed. She clenches her teeth at night. After six treatments she has no migraines but some jaw joint discomfort remains; a bite plate is in the offing.
3. Mrs U has the trophy for the worst back this year. After major surgery with plates and screws two years later she still had paresis in the lower leg and severe disabling back pain. She's doing far better than expected, in no little part due to a lift in her shoe for a very short leg.
4. Mr V is 86 years old and hurt his back helping his wife into the car. Just one treatment of the sacroiliac joint and he's eighty percent better. It's not always like that.
5. Mr W lay on his back knocking down a pillar. Turning his head causes severe vertigo. He needs the Epley exercises, not pills, research shows. Update, he's fine.
6. I myself had an acute exacerbation of a femoral nerve lesion last year. One immediate treatment by my colleague has fixed the pain in the lower back, but there's some residual numbness in the lower leg; no soaring tomorrow alas.
7. This lady is a 86 year old woman with a 63 scoliosis. Chronic lower back has been her lot in life but she's well pleased with chiropractic and comes for chiropractic help once a month; some conditions you can never cure.
8. She is an 78 year old woman, is doing remarkably well with a bad sciatica. But over 200 pounds she is not losing weight; in fact, gaining despite my suggestions. She's high risk for a stroke. I have referred her to a dietician to crack the whip.
9. A 61 year old man with upper cervical pain yesterday; it's not severe but also not getting better of its own accord. He's afraid it may turn very acute as when I treated him three years ago. Since then it's been fine.
10. A 64 year old woman has had scheuermanns disease; it's left her with a spinal kyphosis and chronic middorsal pain. She responds well to chiropractic treatment provides she come every six weeks or so for maintenance treatment.
11. Mrs C has been having severe headaches, and taking a lot of analgesics. It's a non complicated upper cervical facet syndrome, and she's doing well.
12. Mrs D, a middle aged woman with hip pain of one year duration, despite other treatment. Xrays reveal an impingement syndrome and early hip arthritis. There's much to be done.
13. Mrs B has had one of the nastiest of conditions; vertigo caused by a disturbance in the inner ear. Falling repeatedly and vomiting she consulted her doctor but medication didn't help. After two sessions of the Epley manoeuvres she was 50 percent better. After two weeks 75 percent improved. No longer vomiting all falling. She's not enjoying the Brandt Daroff home exercises.
And so the day goes; chiropractors shouldn't be treating the elderly most medical sites state but that's so much bunkum.
Have a problem that's not getting better? Looking for a different slant on your pain? Want to pose a question?
Greetings, Dr B.
You helped me quite some time back with a soothing and professional response which turned out to be exactly correct. I now consult a local chiropractor. You write a superb newsletter, too.
Your own unresolved problem. Pose a question
Knowing that up to 70% of the time the correct diagnosis is made with no examination, no special tests, no xrays, but just from the history, there's a fair chance I can add some insight to your unresolved problem. But at least 30% of the time, I may be quite wrong! Give plenty of detail if you want a sensible reply.
You visited this chiropractic help site no doubt because you have a problem that is not resolving and want to know more about what chiropractors do.
The quickest and most interesting way is to read one of my ebooks of anecdotes. Described by a reader as gems, both funny and healthful, from the life and work of a chiropractor, you'll love them. Priced right at $2.99, though Kindle fiddles the price without telling me.
Bending and twisting
Lower back and leg pain
Lumbar facet syndrome