tingling and numbness in right hand and arm
(lake mary flordia)
Tingling and numbness in right hand and arm started in my elbow 3 weeks ago then went up to the right shoulder blade; it hurts worse at night and I can't seem to make it better by propping my arm up.
It seems to hurt worse, now numbness in right arm and tingling every 15 minutes or so; it wasn't that continuous before; now I notice touching my upper arm is painful.
I don't know who to see; I guess it's not going away, so can you guide me?Hello Angie,
It depends a bit on your philosophy of health care; do you opt for medication and perhaps surgery of your neck, or chiropractic treatment of your cervical spine?
Either way, an accurate diagnosis is first important. Start to note the following;
1. Do any movements of your neck provoke the pain and tingling in your arm?
2. Precisely where in your arm is the numb feeling.
3. Does placing your hand on your head relieve or increase the tingling? The so called Shoulder Abduction Relief sign.
4. Is there weakness developing in your hand or arm? Which actions are affected?
5. What old injuries have you had to your neck?
6. Is the Upper Limb Tension Test positive? Use the Search function at Chiropractic Help to find it.
An xray of your cervical spine, and preferably an MRI scan too, is necessary. The latter is very expensive.
This is a painful and debilitating condition. If after three weeks it's not improving it's best to seek help.