Sudden sharp upper back pain after stretching
During a long bike ride, I felt a sharp pain in my left rib, I actually thought for a moment it was a heart issue.
However, two days after the event, I made a small arm movement, and suddenly felt a strong, sharp, and acute pain in my upper thoracic region, I'm guessing close to my t1-4 or maybe even in the neck area.
After reading various posts I now suspect the rib/heart pain was actually a back issue caused by long hours on the bike. When the pain hit, it was centralized, restricted my movement in my upper back and my neck. The pain did not seem to radiate much aside from some pain in the left shoulder blade. It went away after about 3-4 weeks. On a scale of 1 - 10 (10 being the worst) it started at about a 7.
This was two months ago. Earlier this morning, I stretched my arms above my head, and boom, the pain hit and was stronger than the time before. I'm young, in my 30s, female and in good shape. I do spend too much time on a computer and my posture needs some work. Any ideas on what I've done to myself?Hello Angelina,
A few questions.
1. Does it hurt if you take in a deep breath?
2. Does rotating your torso, and then tilting it to the side cause pain?
3. Do movements of your head and neck cause pain?
4. Any chest conditions we should be concerned about? Asthma, hayfever, smoker? Persistent cough?
5. Old injuries to the neck or upper spine?
Let me have some answers. From your computer please.