right lower chest wall pain

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in my late 20s, and am now in my late 50s. I have recovered (in the last 18 months or so) from a right frozen shoulder and am currently in the unfreezing stage of a frozen left shoulder. I also experienced transient symptoms (about 6 months) of a 'frozen right hip' (unable to fully abduct and pain) which recovered naturally.

About 6-8 months ago I began experiencing pain in my right lower chest wall - the pain is difficult to localise but appears to be more posterior, is constant and not associated with respiration or coughing etc. Sometimes it also feels like s stitch in my upper abdomen, up under my ribs. It manifests predominantly at night when I lie on that side, (never a night when it doesn't occur) takes some hours to dissipate after rising and is generally absent during the day but can reoccur, for eg after a big meal. I have had a chest xray, thoracic spine and right rib xrays and abdominal ultrasound - all are normal.

My initial thoughts on reading your history was that this could be a gall bladder or liver condition, but the ultrasound would probably have picked it up. When your doctor presses up under the ribs in the right upper quadrant, is it tender?

Do you have any mid back pain? A fixated rib would radiate to that area, and sometimes on to the sternum. It doesn't sound like fibromyalgia.

Frankly I'm unsure. I presume your medical doctors are scratching their heads. Perhaps it's time for a chiropractic examination of the thoracic spine, and the costo-transverse joint.

A gastroscopy?

Dr B

Comments for right lower chest wall pain

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 17, 2014
by: Anonymous

cholecystecomy more than 5 years ago, liver function tests normal, yes everyone scratching their heads.

Hello again, Kate.
It never does any harm to ask for a consultation and examination only. Then, after the report of findings, you can go home and weigh if you want to go forwards with chiropractic treatment, assuming the chiropractor finds a probable cause of your pain.

If you haven't seen a chiropractor yet, I assume there's some anxiety about it.

Ask friends and even your doctor for the name of a good, thorough chiropractor. What you need first and foremost is a good examination, not someone who wants to rush in and click your back. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Meantime work on the basics of better health. Gentle exercise like swimming and walking, and a good diet including plenty of fruit and salads for their anti inflammatory properties.

For example did you know that the chili family, and fatty fish are loaded with anti inflammatory properties. Just type anti inflammatory into the search function at Chiropractic Help.

Dr B

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Chiropractic help Questions (Neck pain).

Did you find this page useful? Then perhaps forward it to a suffering friend. Better still, Tweet or Face Book it.

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Then forward it to a friend. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.