Pubic bone pain

by Rita
(Brooklyn ny)

See the proximity to the pubic bone and the coccyx?

See the proximity to the pubic bone and the coccyx?


I had my baby almost 8 months ago and suffer from pubic bone pain, tailbone pain when I'm sitting, and left ilium pain.

I saw a PT maybe 5 times but I don't think it was helping. She only massaged the area once, and I mainly used cold packs when I have pain. In the last three weeks, I started to feel and hear lots of cracking in the region when I'm laying down.

Question is should I forget the PT and find a chiropractor? Or both?

Hello Rita,
I wear two hats here. One says have extreme distrust of anything you read on the net; there's a lot of garbage. The other is helping folk like you with unresolved problems. Go figure!

The pubic bone is the attachment of two groups of muscles; one runs down the inner thigh and the other the deep pelvic muscles.

It's also connected to the other pubic bone via the symphysis that can be problematic.

The tailbone, coccyx and sacroiliac joints too are all part of the pelvis. I'm trying to draw attention to the fact that these are all connected.

It's not for me to say if you should leave the PT. You have to decide whether they are helping you are not.

But what I would suggest is that you start a search for a female chiropractor who treats such things.

Why a woman? Well the treatment is clearly going to involve the groin and coccyx areas, both very sensitive for a woman. If the chiro you find is the best and a male, then take your hubby along with you. It's not pleasant but sometimes an internal coccygeal treatment is the most effective. I usually start doing it externally with a woman, but truth is the internal is far more effective and quick. Your chiropractor can reposition the coccyx if it's been subluxated anteriorally, and reach the muscles of the pelvic floor. Not all chiropractors do this, hence the hunt.

And it all affects the sacroiliac joints which is standard chiro stuff.

Good luck, Rita. Finding the right person to help you is going to be a trial. Take your time, talk to friends and your GP and find her, preferably, or him.

Dr B

Comments for Pubic bone pain

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 02, 2016
by: Rita

I found a great Chiropractor here in Bay Ridge. I see her twice a week, after I threw my back out twice from laying baby down into his crib.
The chiropractic care has helped a lot! I was given a heel lift for my right foot to help with my lopsided structural shift, She helps find the tightness int he muscles that are not in the correct position. My inner and outer thighs and hamstrings are extremely tight, which she helps plan out exercises to do on the daily. She also suggested some supplements to help lube up my joints.

Wonderful Rita. Keep doing those stretches and exercises, otherwise the pain may come right back.

Thanks for letting me know. Your response will help others.

Dr B

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Hip stiffness and groin pain.

Did you find this page useful? Then perhaps forward it to a suffering friend. Better still, Tweet or Face Book it.

Interesting challenges of the day

1. Mr S is a 76 year old man with neck pain of some 9 months duration. Luckily, most of the discomfort is upper cervical which is only rarely arthritic; his lower cervical spine is a degenerative mess that I've left alone. After seven treatments his pain and stiffness is 50 percent better, and he's happy in the circumstances. He can sleep through the night now and that makes a huge difference.

2. Mr P is 32 year old man with very severe lower back pain radiating to the big toe which is 30 percent numb. He had an episode three weeks ago, took anti inflammatories and was soon better as is typical of the medial disc herniation. But before it healed, after a trivia it came roaring back, much worse. The characteristic crossed sign was evident; sitting in a chair, straightening the right leg provoked severe left back pain and tingling in the leg. He's doing well.

3. Severe lower back pain is scary; just ask Mrs P. Just watching her get out of the car I she was in trouble; she had a slipped disc at L4 making her lean towards the opposite side; luckily she had no pain in the leg. Despite family pressure that this was far too severe for a chiropractor, she persevered. Within five days she was standing upright, and after two weeks almost painfree. 

Despite a hectic job, she wisely took my advice and stayed home for what I call exercising bed rest.

4. Mr S has had lower back, groin and back of thigh and calf pain for fourth months.

He has a pincer deformity in the hip causing the stabs in the groin, and a degenerative facet causing the sciatica. Both are responding well to chiropractic and he's well pleased; sixty five percent better after three treatments.

5. Mr T is a wise man; he's taken a warning TIA seriously and has lost 15 pounds, and has at least as much again to lose. A change to a low starch diet and half hour daily walk has made the difference; but the walking is making his foot and back miserable. The expensive orthotic is hopeless; luckily his hips and back are fine, but he needs a simple heel lift.

6. I too have had serious lower back issues, luckily fixed by my own chiropractor; so I too have to do my exercises, take care when lifting supers full of honey, gardening and using the chainsaw. Regaining the function of your spine is just as important as the pain.

7. My own granddaughter, only 7 is hypermobile giving her pelvic, knee and ankle issues. Xrays show a mildly dysplastic hip. Years ago we would have called it growing pains. She too regularly needs chiropractic care and luckily responds well. Increased range of motion is more difficult than too stiff in my opinion. Our care is for kids too.

8. This 65 year old lady is a serious gardener; every day she is bending, lifting and digging for 2 to 3 hours a day. It regularly catches her in the sacroiliac joint, so she has a treatment once a month that sorts it out. She does her lower back exercises faithfully.

9. This 88 year old lady is an inspiration; every day she is busy in the community. With a nasty scoliosis she manages very well with a chiropractic adjustment every six weeks and exercises faithfully done.  

10. Mr X is a 71 year old retired man who wants to continue with maintenance care every six to eight weeks; he had suffered from two years of lower back pain when he first came a year ago. He has no discomfort now after 8 chiropractic treatments, but is aware that danger lurks.

11. Mrs C has been having severe headaches, and taking a lot of analgesics. It's a non complicated upper cervical facet syndrome, and she's doing well.

12. Mr D is a 38 old year man with chronic shoulder pain after a rotator cuff tear playing cricket. It responded well to treatment, but he knows he must do his exercises every day; for two years he couldn't sleep on that shoulder.

13. Mr D, a 71 year old man, has a severe ache in the shoulder and midback since working above his head. Trapped nerve tests are negative but he has advanced degenerative joints of Luschka; after just two treatments he is 50 percent better. Can we reach 90?

And so the day goes; chiropractors shouldn't be treating the elderly most medical sites state but that's so much bunkum.

Have a problem that's not getting better? Looking for a different slant on your pain? Want to pose a question?

Interesting questions from visitors

CLS writes:

Greetings, Dr B.
You helped me quite some time back with a soothing and professional response which turned out to be exactly correct. I now consult a local chiropractor. You write a superb newsletter, too.

Your own unresolved problem. Pose a question

Knowing that up to 70% of the time the correct diagnosis is made with no examination, no special tests, no xrays, but just from the history, there's a fair chance I can add some insight to your unresolved problem. But at least 30% of the time, I may be quite wrong! Give plenty of detail if you want a sensible reply.

You visited this chiropractic help site no doubt because you have a problem that is not resolving and want to know more about what chiropractors do.

The quickest and most interesting way is to read one of my ebooks of anecdotes. Described by a reader as gems, both funny and healthful, from the life and work of a chiropractor, you'll love them. Priced right at $2.99, though Kindle fiddles the price without telling me.