I have nystagmus

by Don
(Fargo ND)

I've had it for the better part of 6 years. It's constant but also causes disequilibrium. Two chiropractors have tried to correct it and have not been able to do it.

Can you direct me to someone, in or near North Dakota that is proficient in fixing the problem?

I would love to have someone help me with the Epley maneuvers.

I was told by the ear doctor after a simple hearing test that I have vertical positional vertigo. I think that's what he called it. He gave me some instructions on how to fix it but they never did anything.

But I still don't really know if the nystagmus causes the
disequilibrium or or if it's an ear problem as I have been reading on many sites on the web.

Hello Don,
I would phone your North Dakota Chiropractic association and ask if there's a member who is able to do the Epley manoeuvres. Regular adjusting of the neck is not likely to help.

If you are unable to find anyone, then you'll have to try a neurologist.

Meantime, you might try the Brandt Daroff habituation exercises.

An ear infection can cause this, but not likely after all this time; you are probably suffering from benign positional paroxysmal vertigo, or BPPV.

The Epleys and BD exercises will provoke the condition; don't be concerned about that; just keep at it.

Dr B

» I have nystagmus

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Chiropractic help Questions (General).

Did you find this page useful? Then perhaps forward it to a suffering friend. Better still, Tweet or Face Book it.

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Then forward it to a friend. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.