Deep upper back pain
Ask someone to pull your thumb and pinkie apart, comparing right and left.
Did pullups a few months ago, as I usually do outdoors after a run. As I got tired I did not have the strength to lower my self but dropped still hanging on to the bar. Felt immediate pain in upper back and woke up next morning with very tight/stiff back and neck, impossible to turn my head.
After one week my mobility was almost normal but deep upper pain has remained, coming and going in varying intensity. Tingling and numbness in both hands is felt often and as I am standing with my hands against my hips I feel painful stretch in the nerve in my arm all the way to my fingers.
My Chiro told my to stretch my pecs. 4 months has gone and no improvement.
I am 30 years old, been exercising my whole life and never been injured. My posture is good, I think, and my work place is ergonomically adapted.
Please give me tips and exercises.
Thank you. Hello Henk,
What's needed is a diagnosis. Did your chiropractor examine you, and what did he say? Have you had just the one treatment?
The concern is that the radiation is down both arms. Have you had an xray of your neck? In fact, after all this time, if any of the following are positive, I'd try and get a scan.
1. Ask your chiropractor to test the reflexes in the arms. Are they equal?
2. Take a pin and prick both your arms following the dermatome patterns in the enclosed picture. Is there a difference right and left?
3. Is there specific weakness in the arm? Especially thumb opposition, elbow extension (triceps) as in press ups, and squeezing the fingers together?
Over and above these, two more tests;
1. Turn to the side and look up. Is there pain? Where?
2. Go to Chiropractic Help and using the search function type in Upper Limb Tension Test. Let me have the result.
3. Is that painful pull in your arm when it's at your side relieved if you place your hand on your head? It's called the Shoulder Abduction Relief sign.
Keep to this thread Henrik. Is there an xray report?