Severe ankle pain

by Cinzia
(London UK)

Hi, I had a car accident at the age of 15 and destroyed my right ankle. It was kind of put back together after a series of surgeries. Now almost 20 years later I am suffering some severe pain. I have been told that the only way to stop this is by having an ankle fusion.

I have been reading up on it and I am totally against it. Not sure what to do and besides the suffering I am very conscious about the way I look as it is affecting my walk too. I am only 44 and very active but this unfortunate situation is turning my life into hell. Any suggestions?
Thank you.

Hello Cinzia,
Could you get a copy of the xray? There are two kinds.

1. On plain film which you can photograph with your digital camera and then it's very easy to send to contact as a jpeg. With the flash off.

2. In a digital format you can also get them off the CD but may be more difficult if you are not a computer boff. Get help.

The films will give me an idea of what we are dealing with. Yes, a fusion is to be avoided if you can. Sometimes that, or an orthotic are the only options.

What treatment have you had? I suggest you contact the British chiropractic association and ask for the names of FICS trained chiros in your area. That's a post graduate sports course.

Let's start with the pictures, and copy of the report please.

Dr B

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Foot and ankle joint pain.

Did you find this page useful? Then perhaps forward it to a suffering friend. Better still, Tweet or Face Book it.