rolled ankle

by Nicholas Delianedis

3 years ago I badly rolled my ankle. I went to the hospital and they wouldn't do an Xray. They told me I sprained it and sent me home. 2 weeks later I went back and made them do an xray because i was still in pain. The xray showed a broken fibula which already started healing so they said to wait for it to finish healing and see how it feels. I attached a picture of the broken bone. The fibula healed malrotated and since then I have had pain in my ankle, my foot feels like it lands completely different.

I developed pain in my back on both sides that is right below the ribs, along with groin pain and pain around my waist. They looked at my hip and found a torn labrum and arthritis which I believe to have been caused by my broken fibula. I had my hip fixed however my pain has not gone away...

The doctors are not helpful and I this point im conteplating getting a lawyer because no one will help me and they just try to give me medicine instead of addressing the issue...

What should I do?

Difficult Nicholas. You might squeeze some money out of them but at great expense and cost to yourself; and a lot of stress. But it won't fix your ankle.

It's a difficult issue; I too don't x-ray at the drop of a hat. 7 percent of all cancers are caused by medical xrays. So I too wait if there are no definite signs of fracture. The clinical exam was obviously a bit shoddy because a fractured fibula would have been very painful.

When there's enough force to break a bone, almost invariably there been tearing of ligaments and perhaps a hidden fracture within the ankle that hasn't been detected; often hard to see because of overlapping structures.

What's needed is a really thorough and careful clinical exam. Usually in an inversion sprain there's also a subluxation of the talus or subtalar joints. That's where I'd be looking for a start.

And obviously the knock effect on your hip and back; that fracture would have changed your whole gait, and may still be affected.

Look for an experienced and thorough chiropractor who specialises in feet; not just expensive orthotics.

I hope this contributes.

Dr B

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Foot and ankle joint pain.

Did you find this page useful? Then perhaps forward it to a suffering friend. Better still, Tweet or Face Book it.