Right ankle pain

by Tania

I sprained my right ankle wearing a pair of wedges and fell forward of sprained ankle. About 6 months later I fell off a treadmill and sprained the other ankle.

My right ankle is the one that is giving me pain; this happened over a year ago. I was on crutches for a week and iced etc. X-ray showed nothing. My ankle hurts on the outside and swells during the day. The only time the swelling goes down is overnight. It hurts when I sit, stand and walk. I move it regularly to keep it mobile. The pain of late seems to be getting worse. I ice when I can and that hurts.

So I need to go back to Doctors for a scan instead of X-ray?

Hello Tania,
When you sprain your ankle various things can happen, one of which is a subluxated ankle mortise, or subtalar joint. Unless it's corrected, the ankle just goes on troubling.

It's possible you have an undiagnosed fracture; the xrays are difficult to read because of overlapping bones, making it difficult to read. So a scan is not out of place.

Start looking for a chiropractor with a FICS qualification; it's a specialisation in sports injuries.

Dr B

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Foot and ankle joint pain.

Did you find this page useful? Then perhaps forward it to a suffering friend. Better still, Tweet or Face Book it.