Inner ankle pain



» Inner pain


I have had inner ankle pain on my left ankle for the past ten years. It happened while I was playing fast pitch softball in high school. I was at home plate swinging to connect with the ball when it happened to drive off of the bat and take an immediate downwards hit to the inside of my ankle, (where the top of my cleat and ankle align). The spot immediately started to swell as I continued to keep my head in the game. That night when I took my cleat off, I noticed it was severely swollen. I put ice on it, took ibuprofen and elevated my foot on a pillow.
The next day I went to urgent care because the swelling would not subside with the ice and ibuprofen. The doctor did an exam and x ray and said the bone was chipped and it didn't seem to affect my walking abilities, so he said it will take a "long time" to heal.
So, over the past ten years I have still been having problems with it hurting to the touch and now with squatting to pick things up off of the floor. It still looks swollen but not as bad as it was when it first happened. I don't know what to do now that it's been so long since the initial injury (and a doctor telling me it would heal over time), and that I am not having trouble walking on it. Do I just need to give it more time to heal? Please let me know.

Hello Amanda,
Ten years is a long time, so you certainly don't need to give it more. In fact you should have been writing this letter nine years ago!

Obviously it's impossible for me to make a diagnosis. For a start we have no idea what bone was chipped.

It's time to see someone who specialises in feet and ankles, orthopaedic or chiropractor, have new xrays taken and a good examination.

Do the alphabet exercises which you can find using the search function at Chiropractic Help.

I hope this contributes.

Dr B

»» Inner ankle pain

Comments for Inner ankle pain

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Aug 10, 2015
by: Amanda

Hello again. I went to see my orthopedic doctor last Thursday and had an MRI done. I received a call back from the clinic this afternoon which came back as having Posterior Tibial Tendinitis in my left ankle. The physical therapist on the phone said the scan revealed a very large amount of inflammation in my tibial tendon. So, physical therapy is a must in this situation. The PT said that it should help alleviate a lot of the pain I'm still experiencing today. My suggestion to anyone experiencing pain with a similar situation as mine is to get a second opinion from an experienced orthopedic physician when it comes to a fracture; especially in the ankle or foot. It only hurts you in the long run if you wait it out like I did.

Hello Amanda,
It's good that you have a diagnosis. Always the question is whether there are also fixated or subluxated joints alongside the tendonitis. This is often the case, and you should ask the person treating you to check for that.

A calf stretch, with the knee straight, and slightly bent is important too, but start slowly. Your doctor will guide you.

Dr B

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Foot and ankle joint pain.

Did you find this page useful? Then perhaps forward it to a suffering friend. Better still, Tweet or Face Book it.