Ankle sprain

by Annette
(London england )

I fell down a kerb 8 weeks ago. My ankle was severly bruised and I hobbled on it for 2 weeks, before I went to hospital and got it x rayed. They said I had soft tissue damage.

The bruising has gone and swelling is down a little. But I have severe stabbing pains in my ankle and also in my shin.

It hurts to walk and it's still swollen. I also get pins and needles. I don't know what to do about it as it's not getting better. I cannot walk for long on it. I keep having to sit down.

It's time to get professional advice, Annette. One of the rules is that it needs to be re x-rayed or scanned if it's not improving; an occult fracture may have been missed.

The shin is where the muscles of the ankle are located; one or more probably of the peroneus group have been strained and the tendon possibly torn.

Most likely there is also ligament damage, and frequently a subluxated talus or calcaneus; walking on it will be incredibly painful.

Look for a chiropractor with a FICS qualification; post graduate sports doctor. Collect from the hospital and take your x-rays with you.

Dr B

Comments for Ankle sprain

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Aug 22, 2017
Ankle sprain
by: Annette

Thank you for the reply. I have been and had it x rayed again. It is not broken. So I went back to my doctor who checked it and said I have torn a ligament and to go back in 3 weeks if it doesn't heal.

That's good, Annette, but it must get properly better. All the time at that site I get letters from folk like you who end up with a weak and arthritic ankle for life. Read them at our ankle sprain page.

Dr B

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Chiropractic help Questions (General).

Did you find this page useful? Then perhaps forward it to a suffering friend. Better still, Tweet or Face Book it.