T6-7 disc protrusion with edema

I have had severe upperback pain for 2 months. My MRI results were T6-7 protrusion with edema. I was referred to a neurosurgeon by my pain clinic where I receive injection every three months on my lower back for disc problems. I don't understand why they can't do something about this problem. How serious is it, does it require surgery? I have tried pain meds, muscle relaxers and anti inflammatories with no relief.

I was also in a car accident 8 months ago where I was rear ended and sent by ambulance to the hospital where I was diagnosed with a neck whiplash. This is actually the same day I had my lower back injection. I was actually being driven home after my injection when the wreck happened.

I started to have numbness in my arms and hands when sleeping and have an ongoing problem with my elbow that my doc thinks is tennis elbow (all since the wreck); could all of this be related?

Hello,
Midback disc protrusions are most unusual because of the supporting ribs. Did you have midback pain after the accident?

It's nasty having these serious issues in all three areas of your spine.

Have you ever seen a chiropractor? If not, perhaps it's time to start looking for a thorough, conscientious DC in your neighbourhood. Talk to friends and family, and your doc.

Tennis elbow is very easy to diagnose, but is often secondary to a neck issue. Does shaking hands and lifting a heavy jug hurt?

I would start the lower back exercises you'll find in the navigation bar; slowly and gently before getting out of bed in the morning.

There's nothing simple about this, I'm afraid. I'd like to tell you confidently that chiropractic could help you, but there are many uncertainties in your case. Work slowly on the basics, doing gentle exercises, perhaps swimming and walking, and an anti inflammatory diet. A regular massage would help.

I wish I could contribute more.

Dr B

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Chiropractic help Questions (General).

Did you find this page useful? Then perhaps forward it to a suffering friend. Better still, Tweet or Face Book it.